Scent Detection Trainer
About the instructor
Nick Wallace comes from a Military K9 training background. He received his Military Working Dog Certificate of Training conducted by USAF Technical Training School at Lackland Airforce Base in Texas. Nick served in the U.S. Navy as a Military Police and Military Working Dog Trainer.
During that time, he conducted daily training with over a dozen high value Military Working Dog Teams which included training in obedience, patrol work, bite work, explosive detection, and drug detection.
Nick was also certified in Anti-Terrorism/Force Protection, and was certified as an NCIS First Responder receiving numerous other accreditations in his field. He has worked in conjunction with the Secret Service, TSA, Homeland Security, and the Vatican Swiss Guard, to name a few.
We thank him for his service and for his expertise in the field of scent detection training.
Scent Detection training has a wide variety of uses from sniffing out explosives to narotics to many other odor classes for recreational competition or other services. Know your goals of why you want to do scent work with your canine and let us help you succeeding in your scent detection training.
Scent Detection training typically takes up to 20 weeks or 4 to 6 months. The course includes supplemental training material you can download to take with you during your training sessions.
Prerequisites and Equipment Used Throughout Scent Detection Training:
- Recommended: 360 Obedience Bootcamp Skills and Commands
- 250 - 500 Grams of Choice of Odor(s)
- Burlap Bag(s) or Linen Napkin(s)
- Air Tight Glass or Metallic Container(s)
- 1 Four to Six Foot Leash and/or Retractable Leash
- 1 Standard Flat Collar
- High Value Treats (chicken, steak, cheese)
- 1 Dog
To help get you started, here are a few of our community's favorite resources:
Need Help? Consult With An Expert!
Learn everything you need to know about training your dog to be a fine tuned SCENT DETECTION EXPERT.
Former military canine Instructor Nick Wallace understands the science behind a dog's scent detection capabilities and the security concerns of patriotic Americans like you. The good stuff with no fluff; Nick delivers highly actionable lessons.
- Lesson Overview
- Video Lesson
- Audio Only
- RK9360 Detection 5 - Outdoor Search Patterns
- RK9360 Detection 5 - Grid Search Pattern
- RK9360 Detection 5 - Box Grid Search Pattern
- RK9360 Detection 5 - Perimeter Search Pattern
- RK9360 Detection 5 - Roadway Search Pattern
- RK9360 Detection 5 - 5M and 25M Search Pattern